Saturday, July 17, 2010

20100717 Judging a Book


This may seem obvious, but cover design is vital to getting your work seen. Not just for on the shelf, but as a tiny (49x75-pixel) thumbnail on Amazon.

On top of that, the spine and the back have to do a lot of work, enticing the potential reader to actually scan the text there, gain a small measure of understanding of the book, and the author, if you are a relative unknown. If you are lucky, they may take even a peek inside. All that just to try to get them to drop a few bucks and get a few hours entertainment from your extended labor of love.

I have posted the front cover in two sizes, and the full book jacket layout for now. I will go into why I made these decisions, and how I made the cover myself, using Photoshop and Aftereffects, in a series of posts yet to come.
For now, look it over and let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Mark E. Poole


Click on the images, to see it at a larger size:




No comments:

Post a Comment